American Language Program / Conditional Admission
Conditional Admission allows academically qualified students admission to California State University, Fullerton after they study in our Academic English Program (AEP) and meet the University’s English language requirement. Those accepted will need to complete AEP (with grades of C or better in all classes) to begin their Cal State Fullerton degree program.
Students seeking Conditional Admission should have above-average academic standing at their current high school or university:
- Minimum GPA 2.5/4.0 for freshmen applicants
- Recommended minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 for graduate applicants
Please note: Conditional Admission is not available for undergraduate transfer students. Transfer students are still welcome to apply separately to the Academic English Program or apply directly to the University.
There is no minimum TOEFL score required during the application process, but students will have to achieve a qualifying score before being officially admitted to the University. For full eligibility requirements, please expand the links below.
Incoming Freshmen Students
This student has graduated or is attending high school and has not enrolled in any university courses after graduation.
High School Subject Requirements
- Mathematics: 3 years required/4 years recommended
- Science Lab: 2 years required/3 years recommended (at least 1 year of Biology and at least 1 year of Physics and/or Chemistry)
- Official high school/secondary school transcripts or mark sheets with proof of graduation (if completed)
- If currently in high school, submit your grades up to 12th year, 1st semester
* Conditional Admission is not available for students who graduate from U.S. high schools or an accredited American high school abroad. These students are still welcome to apply to the Academic English Program or apply directly to the University.Apply for one of the following majors:
- Conditional Admission is available for all undergraduate degrees except Nursing. View the CSUF University Catalog for available degrees.
This student has the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. Most 3-year degrees are not considered equivalent.
University Document Requirements
- Official original-language transcripts or mark sheets with proof of graduation (if completed)
- If documents are not in English, also send an official English translation
Apply for One of the Following Majors
View the department requirements for each program.
Computer Science*, Engineering: Computer, Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical
- Students with graduate degrees in the same major as the program are not eligible for admission
- New GPA Requirement:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5: Applicants graduated from ABET accredited international institutions with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science. ABET accreditations will be verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0: Applicants with undergraduate degrees from non-ABET accredited international institutions (verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions).
- Additional factors considered during the admission process are: number of repeated courses; academic performance in major courses; and undergraduate course selection.
- Minimum GRE score of 300 required before entering university (can still apply for conditional admission without GRE score)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (750 words or less)
- GPA of at least 2.75/4.0 in last 60 semester units
- A resume
- A minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Applied Option: Math 335 and Math 350 with grades of B or better
- Teaching Option: Math 302, Math 307, Math 335, and Math 350, with at least a B average
- An undergraduate major in mathematics with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in all upper division mathematics courses or a combination of previous course work or work experience approved as equivalent by the graduate committee of the Mathematics Department
- Program admits students for Fall semester only
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher in the last 60 units of college work and a minimum 3.25 GPA in all Sociology courses listed in your transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your academic potential
- A writing sample, such as a paper you submitted for a grade in a course. It should be 3-4 pages and should be something the department can use to assess your writing proficiency
- A statement of purpose
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in the major and 2.7 in the last 60 units attempted
- Optional: 3 letters of recommendation by professors or employers
- An essay stating the purpose of their study
- Admitted students may have to complete prerequisite courses after starting the program
CSUF English Proficiency Requirements (TOEFL or IELTS)
|Type of Degree||Minimum TOEFL pBT||Minimum TOEFL iBT||Minimum IELTS|
|Freshmen||500 pBT||61 iBT||5.5|
|Most Graduate Programs||550 pBT||80 iBT||6.5|
|Economics||550 pBT||80 iBT||7.0|
|TESOL||573 pBT||89 iBT (w/26 spkg)||7.0|