American Language Program / Conditional Admission / Apply
How to Apply: Conditional Admission
Through Conditional Admission, students who complete the Academic English Program (with grades of C or better in all classes) and meet other language and academic requirements may be eligible for admission to certain Cal State Fullerton degree programs. The program is open to both incoming freshmen and graduate students, so please see below for detailed application instructions.
We recommend you print a copy for your records.
Pay $180 USD Conditional Admission Application Fee
Include payment information on the online application for the $180 USD non-refundable application fee.
Submit Your Documents (Except Transcripts) Online
After submitting your application, you will receive an email with your confirmation number and instructions on how to upload the required application documents. You will have 48 hours to upload the following documents:
- Proof of Financial Support
Upload an original bank letter on bank stationary or a letter from your sponsor or scholarship organization written on their stationery showing a minimum balance of $34,811 that is dated within the last six months. You may also upload a bank statement. If you are married and are bringing your spouse, please provide additional proof of $6,000. You must also submit a copy of the marriage certificate. If you will bring your children, please show proof of $6,000 per child and upload a copy of your child’s birth certificate.
- Statement of Financial Support
All applicants entering the United States on a student visa must complete the Statement of Financial Support, which includes the source of financial support, name of sponsor and signature of the sponsor.
- Copy of Your Passport
Upload a copy of the inside page of your passport (with your photo and personal information). If you are married and bringing your spouse and/or children, you will need to upload a copy of your spouse and/or child’s passport.
- Explanation After High School Letter (First-Time-Freshmen only)
If you are applying as a first year student/freshman and it has been six months or more since you graduated from high school (e.g., if you graduated from high school in 2016 and you are applying for Fall 2017), then submit the Explanation After High School Letter.
Submit Supplemental Graduate Documents (Graduate Students Only):
Review specific departmental requirements for any additional documents needed for conditional admission, such as:
Computer Science*, Engineering: Computer, Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical
*Note: Computer Science is closed for Spring 2017 applications
- Students with graduate degrees in the same major as the program are not eligible for admission
- New GPA Requirement:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5: Applicants graduated from ABET accredited international institutions with undergraduate degrees in engineering or computer science. ABET accreditations will be verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0: Applicants with undergraduate degrees from non-ABET accredited international institutions (verified by the ECS Graduate & International Admissions).
- Additional factors considered during the admission process are: number of repeated courses; academic performance in major courses; and undergraduate course selection.
- Minimum GRE score of 300 required before entering university (can still apply for conditional admission without GRE score)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (750 words or less)
- GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 in last 60 semester units
- A minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted
- Applied Option: Math 335 and Math 350 with grades of B or better
- Teaching Option: Math 302, Math 307, Math 335, and Math 350, with at least a B average
- An undergraduate major in mathematics with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in all upper division mathematics courses or a combination of previous course work or work experience approved as equivalent by the graduate committee of the Mathematics Department
- Program admits students for Fall semester only
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher in the last 60 units of college work and a minimum 3.25 GPA in all Sociology courses listed in your transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your academic potential
- A writing sample, such as a paper you submitted for a grade in a course. It should be 3-4 pages and should be something the department can use to assess your writing proficiency
- A statement of purpose
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in the major and 2.7 in the last 60 units attempted
- Optional: 3 letters of recommendation by professors or employers
- An essay stating the purpose of their study
- An essay stating the purpose of their study