New Students / University Semester Abroad & Exchange
University Semester Abroad & Exchange
Congratulations on your admission! To help you prepare for your trip to Fullerton, we have created a pre-arrival checklist specifically for new USA & Exchange students. Bookmark this page and visit often to successfully prepare for your semester at Cal State Fullerton.
Please complete all items before the Spring 2019 semester begins on January 18, 2019. Many items will have to be completed well before the semester starts, so please read the entire list and prepare early.
After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019 from California State University, Fullerton, you can begin the process of applying for U.S. student visa. Students who receive a I-20 can apply for a F-1 visa. Students who receive a DS-2019 can apply for a J-1 visa.
Before you apply for a visa, you must first pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. For information on how to apply for a visa and schedule your visa interview, visit the US Department of State's webpage on student visas.
- Webinar (Optional): December 7, 2018 9:00 a.m. PST or 4:00 p.m. PST (California time)
- New Student Check-in (Required): January 16, 2019 or January 17, 2019
- Orientation (Required): January 18, 2019
Attending the webinar is optional. Check your email for more information.
before arriving in Fullerton. Accommodations are not provided by the University and staying in hotels in and around the area will be costly. Learn more about housing options in and around Fullerton.
: All international students are required by federal law to maintain valid health insurance during their stay in the United States. CSUF requires international students to purchase the Aetna Student Health Plan provided by JCB Insurance Solutions. Visit our health insurance page to learn more.
University Semester Abroad Program: You are required to pay for tuition and fees before arriving in the United States or during check-in. The total amount to pay is USD 5,622.00. You can pay tuition in the following ways:
- Online at any time through the CSUF Flywire Portal, which allows payment by bank transfer, credit card or PayPal, depending on your home country. You will need your CSUF campus-wide ID (CWID). Please be sure to enter your CWID correctly, so that your payment can be accurately applied to your student account here at CSUF.
- In person with cash, check or credit card.
Exchange Program: Please fulfill all financial obligations with your home university.
: Your USA Advisor will email the course interest form to you directly. Please fill out completely and submit by the due date indicated on the form.
: You can schedule your appointment here.
: The earliest you are permitted to arrive in the U.S. is December 19, 2018. The preferred latest date of arrival is January 15, 2019. Your flight should be booked based on your housing move-in date. More information on arrival
Students who need assistance in finding housing near Fullerton, including temporary accommodations, can review available housing options on the International Housing website.
Documents to Bring
When traveling, make sure you have the following with you at all times. Always pack these items in your carry-on bag, not your checked luggage!
- Valid passport with F-1 or J-1 visa
- I-20 or DS-2019 signed by school official and by student
- Evidence of financial support
- Admissions letter from CSUF
- Printed I-901 SEVIS fee receipt
Transportation from the Airport to Fullerton
For information about transportation to and from the airport, visit the ISS transportation website. Students should take the shuttle directly to your housing, not to Cal State Fullerton.
If you have not done so already, schedule your appointment here. During your appointment, you will submit required documentation and pay tuition and fees. Please bring the following documents to your check-in appointment:
- Verification of CSU health insurance
- Tuition Payment (if not completed already)
- Verification of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccination
You are required to attend the Orientation Seminar from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in SGMH 1406 (view map). Please arrive by 8:30 a.m. to check in.
|8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.||Orientation Check-in (light refreshments available)||SGMH 1406 (view map)||Required|
|9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Orientation Seminar||SGMH 1406 (view map)||Required|
|1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Global Titans Welcome Lunch & Social||Titan Student Union (TSU) Billiards & TV Lounge (view map)||Required|