Travel and Visa / Transfer to Another School

international students California State University Fullerton advisor travel and visa

Transfer to Another School

After studying at Cal State Fullerton, or after being on approved Optional Practical Training, you may decide to study either at another school or at another education program. In either situation, it is important to discuss your plans with an International Student Advisor in order to find out the following:

  • Eligibility for transfer
  • Deadlines to remember
  • Documents needed
  • Length of stay in the United States before classes at new school begin
  • Travel outside the United States

You are eligible to transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period [8CFR 214.2(f)(5)(iv)]. The following are examples of two different transfer situations:

If you are currently studying at Cal State Fullerton and wish to attend another school in the next term, please meet with an International Student Advisor before the end of your last semester at Cal State Fullerton to discuss the transfer of your F-1 records to the new school. Without this step, you will not be able to receive a new I-20 from your new school.

Also, you are permitted to remain in the U.S. only if you begin classes at the new school within 5 months of transferring out from Cal State Fullerton.

If you are currently on approved Optional Practical Training and plan to return to studying in a new education program (certificate program, master's degree or higher degree), please meet with an International Student Advisor BEFORE your OPT period ends. According to immigration regulations [8CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii)(B)], your OPT will end once you begin studies in a new education program. So, please meet with an International Student advisor regarding your plans following your OPT period.