International Admissions / Domestic Student

Domestic Student

Domestic students with international transcripts have completed some high school, college or university course work at an accredited educational institution outside the United States, its territories or protectorates; they do not require a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the United States.

Requirements for Admission

  • Review CSUF’s admission criteria and application steps for your class level as a First-Time Freshmen, Upper Division Transfer or Graduate student.
  • All applicants (regardless of citizenship) whose native language is not English, and whose education was in a language other than English, are required to meet CSUF’s English Language Proficiency requirement:
Type of Test Minimum Requirement
TOEFL, paper test 500
TOEFL, internet-based test (iBT) 61
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) 43
Masters/Graduate 550 or 80 iBT 6.5 58
Music 560 or 83 iBT 7.0 65
MBA/Graduate Business 570 or 88-89 iBT 7.0 65
TESOL 573 or 89 iBT 7.0 65
Arts/Graphic Design 85 iBT 6.5 58

You may qualify for a waiver (and will not need to take an English Proficiency test) if you:

  • Attended at least three full years at a U.S. high school;
  • Earned a bachelor’s or higher degree from a U.S. educational institution;
  • Completed 60 transferable semester units at a U.S. educational institution, including the Golden 4 general education requirements (Undergraduate applicant);
  • Attended a U.S. educational institution for three years, full-time (72 units) (Graduate applicant)
  • Attended an international educational institution for at least three years (full-time) at the secondary level or above where English is the native language of the country. Those are Antigua, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada (except Québec), Ghana, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand,  Nigeria, Scotland, South Africa, Trinidad, the United Kingdom, Virgin Islands and Wales. Case-by-case assessments are made for Norway and Singapore.

If you meet any of the above mentioned requirements, complete the TOEFL Waiver Form and submit it with your other admission materials.

Application process

Submit an application via Cal State Apply. Students that are not applying for a F-1 or J-1 visa should submit the undergraduate or graduate application. Domestic students with international transcripts should follow CSUF’s admissions and records deadlines.


After submitting the online application, send all OFFICIAL academic records for course work taken outside the United States—including certificates, degrees or diplomas—in original language of issue to CSUF’s International Admissions and Outreach office. If transcripts are not in English, send official English translations. Foreign Evaluation reports are not accepted in place of transcripts.

Mailing Address for Domestic and International Transcripts:

CSU Fullerton
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 6900
Fullerton, CA 92834-6900 USA
Instructions on sending high school transcripts to CSUF
Instructions on sending College Transcripts to CSUF

Note: If you have mailed transcripts to the wrong office, please do not re-submit transcripts. We will forward your transcripts to the appropriate office.
English Proficiency Scores

Request English proficiency scores to be sent directly to CSU Fullerton:

TOEFL Institutional Code: 4589; or

Email a copy of the score report to

Supplemental documents

Students applying for master’s/graduate-level course work may have additional requirements, such as letters of recommendations, personal statement or GRE scores. Students are responsible for checking with the graduate program. Visit the Graduate Studies website and select the program to learn more about the admission requirements.

Please visit CSUF’s Admissions and Records’ Residency page for help determining your residency status and to access the required residency forms.