Employment / On-Campus Employment

student walking by CSUF campus sign

On-Campus Employment

International students are limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and spring semesters, and 40 hours per week during the summer and winter breaks. There are numerous locations where you could work, including offices, food court, library, bookstore, etc. (Marriott Hotel is not considered on-campus).

International students in F-1 status (degree and non-degree) who are in good academic standing are limited to working on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. During the summer and winter breaks, they can work on-campus up to a maximum of 40 hours per week.

F-2 dependents are not allowed to work in the United States.

Application Process for F-1 On-Campus Employment

  • Find an on-campus position, apply and get an offer letter from an on-campus employer
  • Request an SSN Support letter
  • Allow time for ISS to process your request. You will receive an email when your letter is ready for pick up.
  • Pick up support letter from ISS and apply for SSN
  • Receive your SSN and start working

International students on J-1 status who are in good academic standing may work on-campus after receiving written authorization from a Responsible Officer for their Program Sponsor. If your Form DS-2019 was issued by California State University, Fullerton (Program Sponsor), then you will need to meet with an International Student Advisor (Responsible Officer) in order to obtain on-campus work authorization.

Application Process for J-1 On-Campus Employment

  • Meet with ISS Assistant Director to determine your eligibility to work on-campus
  • If eligible, find an on-campus position.
  • Once offered an on-campus job, submit the J-1 On-Campus Employment Request Form
  • Allow time for ISS Assistant Director to review request. If approved, you will receive an email when your letter is ready for pick up.
  • If granted, pick up J-1 On-Campus Student Employment Authorization from the ISS Office.
  • Present the J-1 On-Campus Student Employment Authorization to the on-campus employer.
  • If needed, apply for SSN before beginning on-campus work. Allow 5-7 business days to receive a SSN support letter from the ISS office. It may take 4–6 weeks to receive a SSN from Social Security Administration. For more information on applying, visit our Social Security page.
ISS Office Hours

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

contact us Advising