Housing / Private Apartments
Private ApartmentsPrivate Apartments for International Students
- Students can reserve an apartment before or after their arrival
- Apartments are within walking distance of campus
- Fullerton apartment types: studio, one bedroom, two bedrooms
- Apartments are not furnished (students can rent or buy furniture)
- Contracts for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months are required
- Public utilities, like water, gas, trash and electricity, may or may not be included in your rent. Refer to your the apartment management office for further advice.
- Find internet (https://www.inmyarea.com/internet) and cable T.V. (https://www.inmyarea.com/tv/cable) service providers in your residential area:
To request a list of apartments located within a convenient walking distance to campus, please contact the ISS Housing team.
Apartment Types and Prices
Students can select one out of three apartment types: studio, one bedroom or two bedroom apartments. Apartments include one or two bedrooms, living room, dining room area, kitchen and one or two bathrooms. Most properties have swimming pools and laundry facilities.
One bedroom apartments in the Fullerton area range between $1,100 - $1,300 per month for a short-term lease / comfortable for 1-3 students
Two bedroom apartments in the Fullerton area range between $1,400 - $1,800 per month for a short-term lease / comfortable for 1-5 students
How to rent an Apartment in Fullerton
Depending on the apartment community, you may or may not be able to reserve an apartment before arriving to CSUF.
- Some apartments can accept an application processing fee and holding fee via credit card. These apartments can be reserved prior to the student’s arrival (application, leasing agreement and all documents can be sent by e-mail or fax)
- Most apartments are not able to accept credit cards, and the application-processing fee and holding fee can only be paid by check or money order. These apartments can only be reserved after student’s arrival. Students who are planning to look for an apartment after arrival can visit the ISS office for further assistance. Students should plan to stay in a hotel for about 4-7 days while looking for an apartment.
To make reservations students should select an apartment and provide the leasing office with the following documents:
- Holding fee to reserve the apartment ($100 - $250)
- Application (each apartment complex requires a different application)
- Application processing fee ($35 - $45)
- Copy of the passport page
- Copy of the I-20, DS-2019 or financial guarantee
- Signed leasing agreement
- Deposit (usually the first month’s rent)
- Holding fee will hold the apartment until the move-in date. The holding fee ranges between $100 - $250. After the leasing agreement is signed, the holding fee will go towards the security deposit.
- Once the apartment is on hold, the student will be asked to submit an application, application processing fee (for each person), copy of the passport page, copy of I-20, bank document or a scholarship letter.
- A number of local apartments are able to charge credit cards in order to collect the application processing fee and the holding fee. These apartments can be reserved prior to the student’s arrival.
- Most apartments are not able to accept credit cards, and the application processing fee and the holding fee can be paid only by check or money order. These apartments can be reserved upon arrival.
- Lease term (how long you need to stay in the apartment)
- Monthly rent amount and due dates to pay the rent
- Security deposit amount
- Utilities/services provided by the landlord (most utilities are not covered)
- Responsibilities of the tenant
- Building rules and special clauses
The rent and security deposit are due before the tenant moves into the apartment. The security deposit is usually equal to the amount of the monthly rent, minus a holding fee. For example, if the deposit is $1,400, and a holding fee is $100, the tenant would pay a balance of $1,300. The security deposit is refundable at the end of the contract. Please note that fees for cleaning, painting or any type of damage are going to be collected from the security deposit.
Please note that local apartments are not furnished. Students can rent or buy furniture upon arrival. Information about the furniture rental is available in the apartment’s leasing office. Information about local furniture stores can be requested from International Student Services; Contact Us for more information. Suggested places where students can purchase furniture include:
Services offered by the International Student Services office include:
- Apartment search assistance
- Information about local hostels and hotels
- Assistance with roommate search
- Information about furniture stores
- Information about shuttle services (from LAX to Fullerton)