Employment / H1B Cap-Gap Extension

H-1B Cap-Gap Extension

The H-1B cap-gap extension is a period in which eligible F-1 students can request an extension to bridge the gap between the end of F-1 status and the start of H-1B status. This extension can extend the student's OPT work authorization and/or stay in the U.S., depending on when the H-1B petition was filed. The cap-gap extension is reflected on the I-20.

How to Request an H1-B Cap-Gap I-20

To request an H1-B Cap-Gap I-20, please fax the following to the ISS office at (657) 278-7292 (subject heading “H1B Cap-Gap I-20 request”):

  1. Completed H1-B Cap-Gap I-20 Request Fax Cover Sheet
  2. Copy of current OPT EAD
  3. Copy of Notice Receipt (evidence of H1-B petition files)

Please allow 15 business days (minimum) for processing of your request.

We are Here to Help

You can send us a message at any time and a staff member will get back to you soon, or book an appointment to speak with one of our advisors.

contact us  Schedule Advising
ISS Office Hours

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

contact us Advising